Отправлено спустя 12 минут 27 секунд:
Novocherkassk (N 47-24, E 40-06), Rostovskaya Oblast,had a population of about 100,000 in 1956. The large Electric-Locomotive Building Plant i/n Budennyy, which was formerly a steam-locomotive building plant, was located about ten kilometers from the city (see point No 1 of the legend to the attached overlay of Novocherkassk, located on page 3).
A workers' settlement was attached to the plant, which employed several thousand workers. Other enterprises in Novocherkassk were small and of a semi-primitive and domestic (polukustarnyy) type. Three markets, two of which sold food while the third sold used items, were located in the city.
The city with its large number of students had many Institutes. A drama theater, which burned during World War II, had not been restored [скрыто] in the city. There were three moving picture theaters and a large cathedral,which conducted religious services after World War II.
Most of the buildings were single-story and constructed of red brick. In the center of the city were two and three-story buildings; four and five-story buildings were rarely seen. Only the main streets were lighted. Some eleсtrlc lamps were located at the intersections of the remainder of the streets. Street traffic was light and for the most part consisted of trucks. A great deal of vegetation was visible along the streets, which were still paved with cobble stones laid before the Russian Revolution. Ulitsa Moskovskaya, which lead to the Rostov-Kharkov highway, was the only asphalt street.
Novocherkassk's one streetcar line connected the center of the city with the workers settlement at the locomotive building plant. One bus line ran from the railroad station to the Marine Grove (Marina roshcha), and the other bus line ran from the brewery to the old market.
There were many military units in and near the city. Military personnel were frequently encountered on the streets.
Отправлено спустя 35 минут 21 секунду:
Фух, распознал остальное)
Legend to Overlay of Novocherkassk
1. Electric Locomotive Building Plant i/n Budennyy.
2. Rostov-Kharkov highway, surfaced with asphalt, and wide enough for two trucks to pass.
3. Approximate location of an airfield: for twin-engine Jet bombers. These planes were seen daily in individual flights over the city.
4. Wooden highway bridge about 40 meters long, across the Tuzlovka River.
5. A double-track railroad bridge of steel construction on concrete piers.
6. Asphalt highway to Rostov built by the Germans. Three trucks could easily pass on this highway, which was wider than the part marked by point 2.
7. Ulitsa Peschanaya.
8. Ulitsa Frunze, formerly called Ulitsa Vospitatelnaya. There were many trees on this street.
9. Brewery. This building had a dome-shaped roof and a brick stack 30 to 35 meters high.
10. A small stone church.
11. Hay market (sennoy bazar). Food products were sold here by both kolkhozniki and the local population.
12. Industrial training school (Fabrichno-zavodskoye obucheniye -FZO), which was a two-story red brick building. Ulitsa Pribylyanskaya passed between the market and the FZO school.
13. The grounds of the Novocherkassk Polytechnical Institute. Four school buildings and one dormitory for Students were located here. The school buildings were of an old Pre-Revolutionary construction. The main building was a white, five-story, Roman-style building. The others were five and three story buildings with sheet-iron roofs.
14. Meliorative Engineering Institute (sic). Before the Russian Revolution this building, which was a four-story, red-brick building, was an institute for girls of nobility.
15. Hospital. This was a white-colored building.
16. The first local (otdeleniye) militia office, located in a single-story, brick building.
17. Polyclinic. This was a two-story gray-colored stucco building.
18. Pobeda moving picture theater. The moving picture theater was located on the second floor of this two-story building. A store was on the first floor.
19. Ten-year school. This was a five-story brick building, which was a Pre-Revolutionary city public school (gimnaziya).
20. A single-story brick building.
21. Bank,which was a two-story red brick building.
22. Restaurant, located on the first floor of a two-story dwelling house. This was one of two restaurants in the city.
23. Hotel. This two-story, gray, stucco building was the only hotel in the city.
24. Moving picture theater, located on the first floor of a dwelling.
25. Bus station. The city railroad ticket office was also located here.
26. School for kolkhozy chairmen. This was a four-story red brick building which might have housed other offices besides the school.
27. Museum of Natural History. Included in the museum were scenes from the life of the Cossacks and the history of the Don.
28. Military units. [скрыто] these casernes [скрыто] were made up of many brick buildings of old construction.
29. Suvorov School (Suvoroyskoye uchilishche). This was a three-story, gray building of old construction.
30. Cathedral. This cathedral, formerly known as the Cathedral of the Don Army, had five domes and was about 80 meters high. The domes were once gilded but the Soviets, who used the cathedral for military storage of provisions before World War II, tore the roofing off the domes. The domes were being covered with galvanized roofing iron in 1956. Services were conducted daily. In spite of its huge size, the cathedral was filled to overflowing on holidays.
31. A cast iron memorial to Yermak, who was a Cossack who conquered Siberia.
32. A memorial to General Baklakov, who participated in the War of 1812. Only the pedestal remained of the memorial, which was destroyed during World War II.
33. Officers club, located in a two-story gray stucco building.
34. Machine-tool building plant, which was a small plant producing small lathes. Before World War II the children's colony (detskaya koloniya) of the NKVD was located here.
35. Railroad station. This was a postwar single-story, stucco building which also contained a restaurant. The old station was destroyed during the war.
36. City park. This area also had a summer theater, dance platform, and a pub.
38. City Party and Sovet organizations, such as Party gorkom and gorsovet, were located in this two-story brick building. The building was a former Ataman Palace.
39. Statue of Lenin on a pedestal, which replaced in 1932 a statue of the Cossack Ataman Platov.
40. People's Court (Narsud). This was a two-story brick building.
41. Post office and radio station (radiouzel). This was a two-story stucco building.
42. Market where second-hand items were sold.
43. Old market (Staryy bazar). This market, where food products were sold, was open daily.
44. Mining Equipment Plant i/n Nikolskiy. This small plant, which was subordinate to the Ministry of the Coal Industry [Since abolished] produced equipment, such as trolleys and conveyers.
45. Church. This was a small, white building which was open for services.
46. Approximate location of a prison.
47. Ulitsa Podtelkova
48. Ulitsa Dekabristov
49. Ulitsa 3-go Internatsionala
50. Ulitsa Moskovskaya